My name is Cory Kosche. I am a student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA spending a semester immersing myself in the cultures of South America.

So here I am. In South America. I spent my first two months teaching English in Cusco, Peru and now I´m participating in two programs through Child Family Health International.

The first month I will spend doing ¨Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine¨in La Paz and the second month with ¨Doing More With Less-Healthcare in Remote Southern Bolivia¨ in Tarija, Bolivia.

I´m keeping this blog so that you can read about my travels through the country of Bolivia, read some advice and travelling tips, and to share what I have learned.

If you want to read about something specific, use the labels to the right, I've organized the trip into Tarija and La Paz, as well as specific aspects.

If you want to start from the beginning, Click Here

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to Email Me





Day 1! (Kind of)

Well I'm officially moved into my new house! I'll be calling this place home for the next month.
I admit I was a bit nervous leaving the comfort of my nice hostel to move in with a family. I had no idea what kind of house or people to expect. I'm definitely quite happy with how things turned out!

It's a really nice apartment on one a street that's very close to one of the main streets. It's about a fifteen minute walk from the Zona Turistica (that has the touristy restaurants and shopping and stuff like that). I have a huge room with a two full sized beds (one of which would normally be occupied by another volunteer if there was one) and a dresser, a closet, a big entertainment center furniture piece (I describe it like that because it lacks the actual entertainment, it's just the wood), and a desk. The apartment is well decorated and seems quite modern.

The family includes Gonzalo; the father, who I'm guessing is in his fifties; and Carma, the mother, probably about the same age. They have two kids both in their late twenties and in graduate school. Both kids live at home, but I have yet to meet them.


Upon entering Gonzalo and I talked for about an hour about Bolivia's history and some important figures. It was really interesting as I had only heard small parts of it before! I've now unpacked all of my things and am settling down in my new room. I've grown accustomed to always having wifi in my house so it will be a bit strange to learn to live without that luxury, but probably for the best. I'll definitely have to pick up something a bit more useful than a pleasure reading book. Probably something that I could use to practice my Spanish or some other random hobby. I'm really excited to be in this house. It seems like it's going to be really comfortable and accommodating. I'm anxious to start work and Spanish classes next week though. Today is Friday and I don't start until Monday.
I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do this weekend, probably explore this whole side of town and see what's here! I heard there's a jazz bar nearby?? (And by heard I mean read on my tourist map). Definitely going to check that out.

Anyways, I can't believe it's already march 1! Two months has gone by really fast. I'm already picturing how my month in La Paz is going to fly by. It definitely gives me a rushed feeling, like I should be out right now jogging around the city in hopes of seeing as much as possible and not missing any opportunities!
I do wish there was another volunteer here at the moment to chat with. But, instead, I'll just be sharing my thoughts with you, reader, for the next month!

I'm going to meet with the director in a few hours to plan out my time here! Can't wait to see where I'll be working.
More to come later, ciao for now.

P.s. I'll post pictures of my room and stuff later....feeling a bit lazy now....

No comments:

Post a Comment