My name is Cory Kosche. I am a student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA spending a semester immersing myself in the cultures of South America.

So here I am. In South America. I spent my first two months teaching English in Cusco, Peru and now I´m participating in two programs through Child Family Health International.

The first month I will spend doing ¨Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine¨in La Paz and the second month with ¨Doing More With Less-Healthcare in Remote Southern Bolivia¨ in Tarija, Bolivia.

I´m keeping this blog so that you can read about my travels through the country of Bolivia, read some advice and travelling tips, and to share what I have learned.

If you want to read about something specific, use the labels to the right, I've organized the trip into Tarija and La Paz, as well as specific aspects.

If you want to start from the beginning, Click Here

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to Email Me





Vacation Week - Potosi and Sucre


This past week, I was in between my two programs. I finished my program in La Paz and had ten days to get to the southern-most city of Tarija. I decided to spend the time visiting the cities Potosi and Sucre.
Potosi is the ancient mining town. The Spanish first discovered massive amounts of silver in the mountains in Potosi, and the mines are still active today!

I left La Paz on a Friday night to arrive in Potosi on Saturday morning. When I arrived I checked into my hostel, Koala Den, and made friends with some other people in the dorm right away. They told me they were going on a tour of the mines that morning. I decided to join. So within an hour I was in protective clothes, boots, helmet and headlamp, and off to the mines!

They were awesome! We actually crawled through levels of the mine, rode around in an actual mine cart, and hung out with some miners who were working there, drinking some 96% miners whiskey and all.


After spending the morning in the mines, I went to visit the casa de la moneda, an awesome museum where they kept all of the old machines the Spanish used to make coins in Potosi.

The next day I met a cool couple who are driving from Argentina to Alaska. They gave me a ride to Sucre and I spent the first night at a campground where other car travelers (called Overlanders) were staying too. It was awesome to get to know this super interesting community of people that usually don't have much interaction with backpackers and vice versa.

The next day I moved into a hostel called Kultur Berlin. It was wonderful! It had a huge garden and comfortable dorm ad great breakfasts. I planned on staying in Sucre a week to relax and enjoy my week off, so this place was perfect. On my first day I went quad riding through the neighboring mountain. I also went to the mountain with perfectly preserved dinosaur tracks, I went paint balling with a bunch of new friends from the hostel, I had a delicious filet mignon dinner with wine and a cocktail for $20, I took a salsa lesson, and I relaxed and enjoyed my week off immensely.

Sucre is a beautiful town full of gringos and has an amazing market. I had a great vacation week, but by the end I was ready to start working again!

Off to Tarija!











No comments:

Post a Comment